At Bachido, we're proud to exclusively offer creative styles of shamisen made by the most respected makers in Japan. With the shamisen crafted by trusted craftsman at Tokyo Wagakki (the oldest shamisen workshop in the Tokyo area), we have confidence that our new shamisen styles will be fully realized at the highest quality possible! Like the Sakura, Eclipse and Akatsuki, our newest model proudly continues the line of exclusive and top-grade Shamisen at Bachido. With the Eclipse and Akatsuki available as our high end shamisen, we wanted to offer another mid-range model as an alternative to the Sakura Shamisen (Pink is a bit bold for some). I present to you, The Raven.
フルサイズ (24 pics)
- Size: Your Choice of Chuzao (Mid-Size) or Futozao (Large Size)
- Sao: Shitan (Rosewood) – 28mm wide x 33mm thick (Chuzao) or 30mm wide x 35mm thick (Futozao) – Mitsuori (three-piece neck)
- Itomaki: Color infused Acrylic (with metal core)
- Skin: Hibiki (Black/White Synthetic) or Vintage Tone (Natural)
- Dou: Karin – Size 5 (Tsugaru)
- Hardware: Azuma Sawari, Rindo, Zagane, and Kamigoma
- Accessories not included
Color Burst Within Darkness
The Raven is made with high quality Shitan (rosewood). Shitan shamisen are pretty common, so to add our unique flavor, we’ve asked the makers at Tokyo Wagakki to expertly darken the shitan with urushi (non-allergenic). This brings an incredible new visual element to the shitan. When the background is lighter/whiter, the Raven looks black as midnight. However, carry the Raven to a darker background and suddenly the natural brown color of the rosewood pops out! I (Kyle Abbott) have never seen a shamisen like this. The visual element is just as captivating as the tone! Admiring it’s shining curves, I can proudly say this is a beautiful shamisen. While we’re listing this as a ‘mid-range’ shamisen, the quality is nothing short of top grade.
The dou is standard Size 5 for tsugaru style. Combined with the Shitan sao, I enjoyed wonderful clarity with warm resonance of the sawari. The sao is incredibly smooth with low action, which meant it’s very easy to play and yield high sustain with suri (slide), uchi (hammer-on) and such techniques.
To help you get started with your brand-new Raven Shamisen, I am including several learning materials for free!
- Bachido Shamisen Crash Course
- Premium Shamisen Course: Sakura
- Premium Shamisen Course: Tosa no Sunayama
- Premium Shamisen Course: Kase no Yakko Odori
- Premium Shamisen Course: Advanced Kamashi
Note: A Bachido membership (free) is required to access the courses. To unlock the courses, please contact Bachido after ordering the Raven Shamisen. Include the full name on your Bachido account, as well as your paypal receipt for the Raven Shamisen. After your account and purchase has been verified, the courses will be unlocked to your account.
Order the Raven Shamisen!(Note: Each shamisen is built per order. Please allow six to eight weeks for construction)
Get your Accessories!To bring the price as low as possible, all recommended accessories are sold separately. Find them below, and get cases or other accessories in the Bachido Store!. (The Raven Shamisen is shipped from a separate dealer, and can't be combined with other items from the Bachido Store. Sorry!)
津軽糸セットパック (IT-TS) Ito Set Pack (Tsugaru)
音緒 (NE-T) Neo
胴ゴムシール (DO-GM) Dou Gomu Shi-ru
譜尺 (SF-1) Fujaku
指掛け (YB-M) Yubikake
べっ甲調撥 (BA-BC) Faux-Bekkou Bachi
木撥 (BA-K) Wooden Bachi
プラスチック撥 (BA-P) Plastic Bachi
竹駒 (KM-T) Bamboo Koma
先骨竹駒 (KM-TB) Bamboo Koma (Bone Tip)
材質: 台部分 – 竹 / 糸道部分– 骨
忍び駒 (KM-SNOBI) Shinobi Koma
「静」忍び駒 (KM-SNOBI2) Shinobi Koma - Deluxe
Import TaxPlease be aware that Bachido is NOT responsible for covering import tax, and must be covered by the customer. Because import tax varies depending on the country, please check your country's import tax and make sure you will be able to cover the cost of the tax as well as the items you are purchasing from Bachido.
Return PolicyThere is a 90 day return policy (which starts on the first day of shipment) for the Raven Shamisen. All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee, and shipping costs must be covered by the customer.
We stand behind the quality of our shamisen with the highest standards. The Raven Shamisen is made by the best maker in Japan and skinned with the highest quality skin in Japan. Thus, we will not accept "lack of quality" as a reason for return. Please be certain that you are ready to invest in the Raven Shamisen before purchasing.
The Raven Shamisen must be returned in new condition. Any signs of wear or damage to the instrument, whether from use or during shipping, will void the warranty. If this is the case, we will provide evidence of the fault, and the refund will not be given. If this is the case, the customer must cover shipping costs to have it sent back to his/her address.
We apologize for the strictness of the policy. The shamisen is a fragile instrument, and there's always risk of damage during shipping, which is why we wish to keep returns to a minimum.
DamagesThe Raven Shamisen is fully insured from initial shipment to until final delivery. If the Raven Shamisen is damaged upon arrival, please proceed with the following instructions to receive compensation/replacement.
1. Contact us within 48 hours of receipt notifying us of the damage.
2. Send us at least three photos: one photo of the full product, a close-up (or several) of the damage, and a photo of the package.
3. We may ask you to fill a “damage claims form” at your local post office for reimbursement purposes.
4. In most circumstances, we will pay shipping costs for your replacement. In special cases, we may ask that you pay shipping costs.
The skin of the Raven Shamisen is guaranteed up to 6 months (starting from initial shipment). We will only request shipping costs to be covered by the customer. If the skin ruptures before then, please proceed with the following instructions to receive skin replacement.
1. Contact us within 48 hours of receipt notifying us of the ruptured skin.
2. Send us at least two photos: one photo of the full dou (body), and a close-up (or several) of the tear in the skin.
3. When we confirm the your Raven Shamisen is covered for skin replacement, we will tell you the address of where to send the Raven Shamisen dou (body) for skin replacement, and will request a specified payment to cover costs of return shipping.
4. Please watch this video to learn how to remove the dou (body) from the Raven Shamisen Watch how to remove the dou.
5. When the dou is separated from the shamisen, please pack it tightly in a box, filled with lots of protective packaging to prevent potential damage to the dou during shipping.
6. Send it to the address we provide. Once it arrives, it will be reskinned as soon as possible, and then sent back to your address.
To ensure longevity of the skin:Keep your shamisen inside, in a cool, dry environment. Extreme heat (inside a hot car, for example) or cold stresses the skin.
Remove the koma from the shamisen after every practice session. The koma puts pressure on the skin. When the shamisen is not in use, removing the koma will increase the lifespan of the skin.
Play your shamisen often! The more you play, the better your shamisen will sound! Just like how doing yoga keeps your body flexible and limber, playing the shamisen often will keep the skin vibrating. Vibrating the skin keeps it supple and responsive. On the other hand, when the shamisen isn't played often, the skin will get brittle, and thus prone to breaking sooner.