Shamisen of Japan Book Errata

The author’s curse - Finish a book, think it’s perfected, and then discover that it seems I’m not perfect. (Was my mother wrong?)

Year after year, numerous errors, typoes and not-quite-accurate bits have been uncovered from the book, thanks to feedback from readers. All of which has been corrected now, but like a crappy easter egg hunt, it’s a good chance that more treats are hidden in the text!

As my dad says, ‘It takes a village’. I do my best to compile the information I’ve learned from shamisen masters (both musician and craftsmen) and from personal experience, but rigorously compiling this information accurately doesn’t come naturally to me, so I appreciate it immensely when readers inform when something doesn’t appear quite right.

If you have Shamisen of Japan and there’s a section which you think is confusing, or perhaps wrong, I encourage you to post your constructive criticism here.

Thanks to Dan for suggesting this new catagory!

Flame away!
Kyle

Just got my book today!
I’m a little confused (not hard to do that with me)
I measured my bachi (the proper one, not the one i’ve made) against the one in the book and found the one in the book to be smaller.
Also the Koma looks smaller than i remember.

Are the dimensions as they’re printed in the book correct?
Just a query.

Bachis come in all manner of sizes. Sometimes they are even custom made upon request. I own several and each one is a different size. Masahiro Nitta sometimes uses what looks to me like a miniature bachi. I own one which I can barely wrap my hand around in addition to one that is abnormally large. I’m sure the one described in Kyle’s book is just one example.

cool cool, as long as i’m not doing something wrong!

Just reading about skining in the book and i found a spelling mistake…
p70 top left paragraphs point 3.
It should be knead not kneed
(unless i’m being british english retentive? )

The value, power, and spirit of the information is not in jeopardy. Just keep it coming and typos be damned.

Not to nitpick, but you use the word ‘typoes’ above, Kyle.
I’m afraid it is ‘typos’ with no e according to the Word Police.
Typoes was probably just a typo.
Don’t let the nit pickers get to you - the book is graet!