Sanshin for Sale

Hey Bachido Community,

I am selling a Sanshin, which was gifted by my brother, but I never have the time, money or really a drive to play, because I’m completely invested in my classical/electric guitar and classical singing. So I thought, I could sell it, because it just collects dust and it would be a shame to just leave it there.

I don’t know, how much the sanshin did cost or what it is worth, but here are some pictures:

I don’t know, if you can see, but the snake leather is broken, but I cannot identify, if this affects the sound at all.

If someone has any kind of experience, how much this kind of sanshin would cost, please let me know truthfully!

If you are interested in it, just drop a message. I live in Finland, but I can send internationally, though I won’t recommend to buy it, if you live in the US or UK, because I do not have any kind of documents to prove the origin of the snake skin. It was a present and my brother bought it in Japan, but he didn’t get any documents either.

Edit: Oops! Apparently snakeskin isn’t as cut and dry as I thought. Thanks for the clarification!

Just a heads up, it’s illegal to send real snakeskin to some countries like the US.

Thank you, I knew that already. That’s why I would prefer interests by people from the EU mostly :wink:

Ok, just wanted to make sure there was no confusion :smiley: thanks!

It’s not necessarily illegal to send snake skin to the U.S., but it is controlled.

Which means you need to prove the skin isn’t from an endangered species and that the quantity isn’t detrimental to the survival of the species.

It may or may not be banned, or it may or may not require an additional permit.

It is worth noting that different types of skins do better or poorly in different climates, so while snake skin might be ok in Okinawa, it might become brittle, sound terrible and break in a place like Michigan.

I have seen this happen up close.

I am personally a fan of synthetics, since reskinning is a pain (and expensive), and synthetics tend to be somewhat insensitive to the weather. If you move around a lot like I do, it becomes a real issue.

I think for a sanshin, there isn’t a whole lot to be gained sonically by using snake skin and synthetics might save a lot of headaches.

Just an opinion.

I am personally a fan of synthetics, since reskinning is a pain (and expensive), and synthetics tend to be somewhat insensitive to the weather. If you move around a lot like I do, it becomes a real issue.

I think for a sanshin, there isn’t a whole lot to be gained sonically by using snake skin and synthetics might save a lot of headaches.

Just an opinion.

Thank you your opinion, those things are interesting to know. Sadly I can’t use any of this for my own advantage, because I don’t play Shamisen, it was one of those gifts, you will never use xD So that’s the reason, why I just want to sell it, because someone who plays can use it much better :wink:

oh sorry, I thought this was a thread about snake vs. not snake

oh sorry, I thought this was a thread about snake vs. not snake

No worries :wink:

It’s not necessarily illegal to send snake skin to the U.S., but it is controlled.

Which means you need to prove the skin isn’t from an endangered species and that the quantity isn’t detrimental to the survival of the species.

It may or may not be banned, or it may or may not require an additional permit.

Yes, we have many items–shoes, handbags, belts–made from snake skin. I have a hat with a rattlesnake (hardly endangered, we have them by the 100s of 1,000s here in CA) wrapped around it.

You would probably have to get a herpetologist or taxidermist to certify the species for Customs.

Hello! Still have sanshin? Want to sell? Send to Brazil?