Facebook Crosspost - Strings and Things

CROSS POST ACTION

Hello everyone, how ya’ll doing today?

I’m collecting information on strings.

Could you tell me about your preferences? I’d like to know the gauge and material (s for silk, n for nylon, t for tetoron). If you can, please tell me about your instrument and music.

For reference, I’m currently using s17 / s14 / n14 on my min’yo, and generally that’s the genre I play. My Tsugaru is currently strung with s27 / s15 / n14.

If you happen to know the brand (Such as Hatsune, Kotobuki, or Fuji) you’re using, you could include that too!

Thanks~

I have a jiuta that I’ve been using s14/s14/n13 while I’m not in Japan to save my silk strings for a rainy day. When in Japan I use hatsune s14 on all the strings (my relationship with miss Money is complicated).
I’ve wanted to use a thicker ichi no ito, my jiuta came with s15 but 14 was the only thing my neighorhood shamisen store offered.

My min’yo : s16-s17 or s18 hatsune or Fuji/t15 tokiwa or s15 Fuji/n13 kotobuki, tokiwa or Fuji.

I’m using s20 Fuji/t15 Ray tone(irradiated)/n13 Fuji on my tsugaru. S20(for ichi no ito) may seem too thin for tsugaru, but I usually play modern tunes and I prefer playing softly rather than traditional hard striking style.

I hope nobody will hate me but, since I need to save money, I buy my shamisen strings on amazon because they are cheaper in price but not in quality. on amazon, I can buy 2 ichi no ito strings, 4 ni no ito strings, and 6 san no ito strings that would be the price of 1 ichi no ito and 2 ni no ito strings on bachido.

I always bought the largest and thickest I could get my hands on. Not exactly sure which is which to be honest.

I prefer whatever I can get at the time.

My “20 cent fishing line period” was actually kind of good.

My “20 cent fishing line period” was actually kind of good.

Hahaha

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m still watching this thread, so if others happen by… please contribute your experiences!