Gas can shamisen

Hey everybody, just throwing this out there. If anybody has an old tsugaru neck or comes across one or knows where to find one I would really appreciate letting me know. I want to build a gas can shamisen.

Because it would be awesome.

Thanks,

That would be like a kankaro(?) Sanshin. Very curious to know what it will sound like.

Hey, anybody know the next widest neck to a tsugaru? Maybe I will have better luck finding one of those for cheap.

That would be like a kankaro(?) Sanshin. Very curious to know what it will sound like.

If I ever get it made I will definitely make a video of the sound.

The three primary necks (and some of their associated genre) found in shamisen are

Hosozao (2.3 - 2.6 cm) (nagauta, kouta)
Chuuzao (2.6 - 2.8 cm) (min’yo, jiuta)
Futozao (2.8 cm +) (gidayu, tsugaru)

Futozao are commonly in the 3.0 - 3.3 range these days, and the truly narrow hosozao are rather uncommon.

The three primary necks (and some of their associated genre) found in shamisen are

Hosozao (2.3 - 2.6 cm) (nagauta, kouta)
Chuuzao (2.6 - 2.8 cm) (min’yo, jiuta)
Futozao (2.8 cm +) (gidayu, tsugaru)

Futozao are commonly in the 3.0 - 3.3 range these days, and the truly narrow hosozao are rather uncommon.

Thank You kindly Sir.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to make a neck
or something like it.

That would be really cool. I agree with Pete that it would be pretty easy to make a neck, having built a few cigar box guitars. You could use guitar tuners if you don’t want to fiddle with the traditional ones.

Gas can shamisen? sounds interesting.