Tsugaru Jinku Question (Shamisen of Japan)

I wouldn’t call this an “Errata”, but I have a question about the sheet music for Tsugaru Jinku which I’ve started working on. Along with reading and playing along with the sheet music in the book I’ve been listening to the sample provided at http://bachido.com/materials and noticed they don’t match up. The same goes for several videos I’ve found and a recording by the Yoshida Brothers.

The main difference is that sections of measures arebeing repeated as if there’s a longer version of the song. So now I’m stuck trying to figure out which version to learn. If I ever find myself in a jam session with fellow shamisen players, is there a more common version I’m better off learning? Is this something to watch out for for other songs in the book? Should I just stop over thinking this and get back to playing?

Bonus points if anyone has a copy of the sheet music of the longer version or knows how the measures repeat so I don’t have to figure it out for myself. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I seem to remember that I also noticed that mismatch a longer while ago and I seem to remember that Kyle said those are rather quickly done recordings in general just to provide an idea of how a song sounds and not necessarily meant to be note for note exactly as the tabs featured in the book and that he might replace those recordings with note for note versions sometime later or so … as for jam sessions I think it is quite common to be flexible as for how often a section is repeated and the leader can give other players a cue as for when to move on by shouting something at them or so … :slight_smile:

Hey Joel,

The recordings there are very old and have never matched. When it comes to the folk songs I would recommend finding a video of a live performance with singing. Those versions usually follow the common structure. At least that’s my impression. Maybe check the tournament videos?

I do have a longer version and may be able to answer some of your question. But I’m busy today and won’t habe time until tomorrow.

Basically the difference is the repeating of several sections. You will get into it without problems I’m sure. The version of the book or here in the Website provides you with all material for the repeatings.

Hey Joel,

Many songs from the Tsugaru tradition are actually flexible in the sense that, depending on the mood of the singer or accompanist (or both etc.) the interlude, verses, choruses melodies and even lyrics of certain songs can be different not just from time to time but sometimes as often as “every single freakin’ time!” The most famous song called Jongara bushi actually carries with it a little saying that goes…“No two jongara bushi’s should ever sound the same!” so you can see that thIs notion extends to other songs as well. In the case of Tsugaru Jinku the best advice is what Karl has stated. Get to know the Singing part of the song. The Shamisen is more or less just an accompanying part.

There used to be a video on YouTube with a girl (with Greg Walsh) singing the part to Tsugaru Jinku, but it’s gone now. Are there any videos of people singing the song? I’m searching, but can’t find any so far.

This is one of the things I like about Japanese music; this changeable, organic quality. It’s very common in the shakuhachi world, too. Joel, I have a copy of the sheet music with the repeating parts which I got from Mike Penny. I’ll ask him if it’s alright to let you have a copy.